1.23.2009

stuck in one place.

Something happened to me a few days ago. Something dumb. and it directly correlates to me being a space cadet. Here is what happened:
My dear friend Sabe who I have been friends with since high school came up to visit me for the weekend. She took the bus from Boston. So after a splendid time together, Monday afternoon I was driving her to Concord to make the 3:00 bus back. Of course we were running a tad bit late, but had determined that yes, we were going to make it in the nick of time. That is, until I saw cop lights flashing behind me. Now I was pretty sure I wasn't speeding, but I felt instantly nervous. I haven't been pulled over in at least 5 years... I was driving Amy's (My dad's fiance) car that she had loaned me, and when I rolled down the window and the officer told me that the reason he had pulled me over was that my registration sticker was expired (Later I found out that Amy had in fact given the registration stickers to Alex but there was a miscommunication between Alex and I regarding this...). He asked for my license and registration. Sabe had handed me a big wad of papers, and I was flipping through them, not even sure what the NH registration looked like. Finally he told me to just give him my license and he would look it up. So I did after a bumbling apology and an even more indecipherable explanation that it wasn't my car and that I was not from NH... He went back to his police car and in an effort to make light of the situation I took these pictures:
As the minutes rolled by we realized that Sabe was going to miss the bus :(
When he finally returned he announced the good news first. That the car was registered, just the stickers were missing. He did NOT give me a ticket. Then the bad news. My NC drivers license expired on my birthday last year. Yes, 4 months ago. He asked Sabe if she had a license, which she produced. He said Ma'am you will have to drive. He gave me a court summons dated for mid March. "But, I won't be in NH then" I sputtered. He tilted his ear toward me and I had to repeat it over the loud highway traffic again. He shrugged and told me I would have to call and get it figured out. Soooo... I wish I could blame it on pregnancy or post-natal hormones, but surly those have steadied out after 15 months... or maybe on the holidays??? or the fact that NC doesn't alert you when your license is about to expire? Nope, I will take the blame and chalk it up to space cadetyness. So now I am relying on the kindness of everyone else to cart me around. I am sure there is some lesson in this all, but for now I am just trying my hardest to enjoy being stuck in one place.

5 comments:

babyjenks said...

that's right, i had a giggle fit when the cop went back to his car... it was kind of funny. i made it hope all right, a bit late, but i made it!

i love you despite your boughts of space cadetedness!

~ sabe

Daisie said...

Oh, no poor you, how awful. Luckily, for me and my sieve like mind, in the UK your drivers license is valid until your 75th birthday. One thing I don't have to remember! Still have baby brain and I think it's still left over from Elizabeth and she's nearly eight!!
xxx

Anonymous said...

I consider it a privilege to cart you around! But I am sorry about the license...

Anonymous said...

This sounds like something that would be funny now, potentially not funny in about two months, and thereafter funny for all eternity.

WA does nothing to remind you. Sometimes people at the store will remind me when they look at my card. I like the sound of this UK deal. Not only not needing to renew, but also making sure those crazy 75 year olds still know how to drive before they let them back on the road.

Erin said...

Ha! That made me laugh out loud! I wasn't done scrolling down and when the cop asked if Sabe had a license, I imagined your next sentence to be something like that Amy's car is a stick shift, and therefore although Sabe had her license, she could not drive and then you would have been really stuck! Sounds like my day yesterday...