11.20.2008

trials

Trials.
I am in the middle of making something look good.
and then I think of a way to make it better.
but it requires a complete overhaul of everything I have already started.
so I start again.
and this drives Alex crazy.
and since my studio is in the middle of our home, he sees it all.
especially since he has no work and is at home trying to
exist amongst my scraps of paper, cups of glue, scissors, and paint scattered about.
he is logical.
he knows I only have a
snippet of time to work.
Sometimes I catch it in his eyes- the frustration of my process- but he tries to be respectful.
if I had my own space I would not let him see this unraveled side of me perhaps.
that's not true.
I would come back from my personal studio and talk his ear off about the pros and cons of this color or that. to frame or not to frame. this size or that...
and he would sigh.
Luckily I don't think it's me that drives him crazy.
it is just the process...

today's idea was:
I have been painting my sides of the boards I mount my paintings to black, but then I realized today that I could wrap them like a book cover instead.
saving time. making the framing into a smooth
transition.
but all of the boards already painted... what to do with my paintings with black sides? It isn't that I don't like them, it's that they don't match my new idea.
but see how good it looks?
I need to amend my process.
two steps forward
one step back.

2 comments:

Liz said...

love the peek into your process. thanks for sharing.I suppose as an artist it is important to be flexible about your work environment... as even your *perfect* set up will probably always have some glitch or another. I totally relate with the husband sweetly holding his tongue as he stews over non-linear thought processes, I've got one of those, too. :)
Also your pics from nicaragua are amazing! I love lili in the pumps... a glimpse of what's to come? I wonder about trips to tropical places in the middle of fall/winter...I don't know if I could withstand the return to dreariness... its like, is it better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all? it's like that for me. love ya!

Jen said...

My husband too absorbs my frustration. He doesn't understand that it is a natural part of the creative process!