7.13.2008

CLAMBAKE

I wanted to shower a little extra attention on the clambake that occurred at the beach.

See, the clambake is a family tradition of my grandmother's family. Her grandparents and parents were from Illinois, and had clams shipped in from the coast in order to do this special and festive meal. Needless to say, it was a big event for them...There was a little confusion as to the proper and best way to do the clambake as we didn't have all of the traditional materials such as seaweed or the exact type of clams. We were however using my great grandparents giant copper pot to cook in. (It is my understanding that traditionally clambakes were cooked directly in a pit dug in the sand.) What should we use instead of seaweed? Should the clams go on top or bottom? If they go on top will the broth be infused with the clam taste? Here is what we decided to layer in the copper pot:
  • gallon of seawater
  • corn-on-the-cob in tinfoil
  • whole potatoes also in tinfoil
  • whole chicken legs and thighs
  • clams
  • and corn husks in between the layers
We got the charcoal grill extremely hot and carefully placed the full pot atop the bed of coals. We secured the lid and waited for the whole operation to turn into a steaming heap of infused and intermingled flavors.
Mostly it was my Dad, Papa, my Uncle Glenn, and Amy making this whole thing happen. Being a nervous-nelly, I stopped by to help here and there, but all the steam and hot metal and the whole thing precariously on a grill with skinny legs- well- the baby and I just helped keep the rest of the guests entertained.
Despite several doubts (mine included) the clambake was SO good. I wasn't sure I even liked clams honestly, but they were delicious. The clams open up when cooked. You pull out the clam, and wag it in the infused seawater broth(the pink bowl shown), then dip it in melted butter- Pop it in your mouth... Yum.

No comments: