5.09.2011

photographing jewelry

From what I understand, it is good to take photos of your art outside on a bright, but overcast, day. I got impatient waiting for these conditions, paired with the timing of child-less time (hardly any) ~so I improvised a way to take photos of my earrings on a sunny day.
The shadows would have been overpowering if I had taken them under the direct sun, and the light areas would be washed out. So to remedy this problem I leaned two boards against my studio steps. I taped a piece of silk between them and placed the earrings to be photographed behind the fabric.
 The light filtered through the fabric and gently lit my earrings.
 Lastly, I cropped and edited the photos I took on Picnik  I know I have lots of room to improve with my photography skills, but I am happy for now.
 While I worked this fellow sat in the tree above me and watched... Isn't he handsome?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very clever photography technique. your photographs are beautiful.

Cindy said...

What an amazing shot of that cardinal! Not to mention your beautiful earrings! Love them!