6.30.2008

dramatic dusk sky tonight...



Because our land faces southeast, and because the mountain is behind and to the west of our home, we don't see sunsets. (beautiful sunrises) Tonight though, was a wonderful bright rainbow against a dark backdrop (in the picture notice the silhouettes of our echinacea flowers!), and some brilliant clouds drifting to the east. I included a photo of Alex posing with the laundry that wasn't drying very fast with this weather...

It would have been dry already if I had remembered to hang it before I drove into town this morning- but alas, it slipped my mind. I had a lovely stroll through the botanical gardens with my friend Livia who was down from NY for a visit and my friend Liz (who is 39 weeks pregnant) and her son Elijah while I was in town. It is nice to have a bit of fun on a town day as it is usually all business for
Lili and me.

Just as I was driving the last stretch home tonight, a big white and red suburban came barreling over the crest of the hill almost completely on my side of the road. I had to swerve off the road, and luckily he also swerved back towards his lane. It was so close. Before I even had time to act I felt that mama-bear instinct and thought "
Lili!" and my adrenaline kicked in.

Afterwards I felt very shaken and angry at the suburban. These roads we live on are so curvy and people drive so crazy. Ever since my friend Lucas died on our road from being hit by a van while he was riding his bike 3 years ago, I feel very sensitive to reckless drivers. But the reckless ones are whizzing by to fast to ask them to be more careful...



No comments: